Cooking Finland is on Facebook! Click here. My art blog is here.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grated Potato Casserole--Riivinkropsu



Tonight I had no idea what to make for dinner, so I opened up The Finnish Cookbook and started looking for recipes using the ingredients that I had available.  This casserole jumped out at me, it is basically shredded potatoes in a batter which contains the same ingredients as a baked oven pancake.  I don't remember ever eating this before, but the book says that it is a traditional dish in Satakunta in Western Finland.  Anyway, no strange ingredients in this one, just a simple casserole.

I started by grating six peeled potatoes.  This photo also shows some rutabagas in the background--I can't decide whether to eat them or wait for spring and plant them, they are sprouting so well!


Next, I beat six eggs in a bowl, then beat in three cups of milk, half a cup of flour and two teaspoons of salt.  This only took a few minutes, but notice the color change of my potatoes in the background--next time I'll soak them in cold water then pat them dry before using them in the casserole, or maybe I'll just use frozen shredded potatoes!  I stirred the potatoes into the egg/milk mixture.


I used a large casserole dish (4 quart).  I put about three tablespoons of butter in the dish and put it in the oven as it preheated to 375 F.  Once the butter melted, I made sure to cover the pan well with it, then poured in the potatoes and baked in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes.  So simple!



This made a huge casserole, but it was so good that the kids really dug in and ate most of it.  My husband didn't remember ever eating it, either, but I will definitely be making this again.  It has become a new family favorite.

1 comment:

  1. ☆ I bet you can't go wrong after opening up The Finnish Cookbook. This recipe shows that.

    ReplyDelete